I’ve been re-freshing a couple of old dining chairs for my cottage kitchen. One done and the other a work in progress. I am using a great “chalk like” paint called Frenchic Furniture paint which is lovely to work with. The paint requires little or no prep, covers well and is self levelling.
The house is in a permanent state of upheaval as I am constantly prepping crafts for a cruise or actually going away. I’m off to Norway soon and then Southampton to Cape Town in October. It’s all good fun and very exciting and don’t forget, I am working! Most of the work is before hand, deciding what crafts to offer, buying the materials and preparing the actual lessons. I love it!(and I’m seeing the World) More about my adventures at a later date.
This is an up cycled stool or should I say “cheered up stool?” It is rather worn and disheveled kitchen stool which I decided could do with a face lift. I was going to paint it white but ran out of time. So I gave the legs a light sand to remove some of the marks.
As the top of the stool was beyond hope I crocheted a cover to give it a lift. The whole process was free as the wool came from my stash and only took one ball.
I am not a very good crocheter and it took 4 or 5 attempts to make a proper circle! I began with a loop and double crocheted in the round whilst increasing every sixth stitch then every seventh on the next row. Followed by every eight stitch on the next row etc. this I kept doing until the circle covered the stool plus a few extra rows down the sides. The final row I made holes through which to thread elastic. This enabled the cover to be stretched over the stool top and held securely in place. Then Hey Presto! New stool! Well cheered up stool!
Hi there! Here is the nursing chair that lives in my bedroom. It is a typical Victorian nursing chair with no arms and sat quite low. They were designed for nursing mothers ( or Nannys ) when holding an infant. This particular one is still in its original fabric as it has been protected with a loose cover for many years. Nursing chairs were usually found in more wealthy homes and have traditional cabriole legs with brass castors. This chair is padded with horse hair and quite comfortable especially if you were feeding a baby.
Here is the same chair complete with its loose covers. My Mum made these particular covers in the 1970s complete with piping and pleating. The cover fits perfectly and is fastened on with hidden Velcro. I removed the cover today as I am Spring cleaning! Yes REALLY! One day I will make a new cover for this much loved chair. I’m not sure if I could do as good a job as my Mum did. All that piping and fitting. Anyway maybe one day! For now I will just wash and refit.
This chair was upcycled by my daughter in law. She painted it a heritage grey and distressed it beautifully. The chair was further enhanced by creating the rose linen seat cover in toning shades, isn’t it lovely? Daughter in law is very talented and has upcycled dozens of items for herself and on commission. The super good thing about this chair is that it was a gift to myself as a surprise. The really super thing about this chair is that it originally belong to my Nanna (Grandmother) and was found in her attic when we cleared her loft after she died. Son laid claim to the chair and had it for many years before presenting it to me in its upcycled, new style.
The lace tablecloth was given to me by a friend. It is hand crocheted and from circa 1950. It is currently living in my linen stash which grows daily! This linen stash is intended, destined, to be upcycled but the thought of cutting it is impossible. Time will tell as to what projects I come up with. All ideas duly considered so watch this space!
The table is an old pub table that I bought in the early 1980’s. It is perfect as an occasional kitchen table. It is extremely heavy due to its cast iron base. I have had many cups of tea and quiet reading moments at this table and certainly hope to have many more. Oh and this is where I normally blog so happy days.