OK I confess it should have been finished for last Christmas but hey ho the thought was there! I finally gave this shrug to Darling Daughter. It fit and dare I say it, looked good! Amazing after the catalogue of disasters that it had become. I must emphasise in no way the fault of the yarn but the fault of the knitter. Me!
I purchased the yarn from Woolfest nearly a year ago. I fell in love with this beautiful fibre and bought Darling Daughter’s favourite colour. I checked the yarn thickness and yardage against the pattern and away I went. First mistake. When I came to knit the yarn I realised it was knit with double yarn so I quickly ordered more to be sure of the same dye lot. This yarn was very expensive so the garment felt as if it should be gold plated!(I would never have payed the full amount had I realised, but mistakes happen!)
I now found the double yarn difficult to work with as I kept spitting the two and creating holes. Second Mistake.
Third Mistake. I knitted happily away until the second front. For some reason known to no one I knit this front much too long and had to unpick the hard work.
I picked up over 400 stitches around the front and back using a circular needle as instructed. Fourth Mistake. When knitting this welt the circular needle broke. Disaster!
In fact it’s something of a miracle that I completed it at all! But I did so Whoo Hoo another WIP done.